highmore, south Dakota
What To Do
City of Highmore
Highmore is a small, rural town, and the county seat of Hyde County. Centrally located just 48 miles East of Pierre, the state capital, Highmore is principally a ranching, farming, agricultural community. This central South Dakota area is also the gateway to Big Bend on the Missouri River and offers many fishing, hunting, camping and other recreational, economic development, and business opportunities. Highmore is in the middle of both Hyde County and the state of South Dakota intersecting US Hwy 14 and SD Hwy 47, with proximity to highway, railroad, and air transportation. Highmore and Hyde County are also located in one of the best and largest wind energy development areas in South Dakota.
Travel South Dakota
Find Your Great Place in South Dakota and inspiration for your next vacation. Check out our social channels for the monumental parks, hidden gems and amazing attractions throughout the state!
- Hyde County created in 1872 and organized April 12, 1883 by the Dakota Territorial Legislature.
- The county was named after James Hyde, a member of the Territorial Legislature.
- The current courthouse was constructed in 1911 at a cost of $51,941.00.
- The Hyde County Jail was discontinued in 1974 and jail services were contracted with surrounding counties.
- During a drought in 1976, a jobs program paid for local citizens to beautify the courthouse interior.
- Visitors can find original furniture, converted oil light fixtures, original vaults and blueprints, marble countertops and original woodwork inside the building.
- The Courthouse is on the National Register of Historic Places
- The “Courthouse Gang” has put on an annual Christmas tree display since 1994 where businesses, individuals, and organizations decorate trees to be shown throughout the Christmas season and during an open house.
Bed & Breakfast Innkeepers of SD
When you travel across South Dakota, be sure to check out the other Bed and Breakfasts! We all truly appreciate you staying with us. www.southdakotabb.com
Ever thought of being a farmer or a rancher? Now is your chance! Inquire at the front desk about our full- and half-day excursions.
Game, Fish & Parks
The South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks provides sustainable outdoor recreational opportunities through responsible management of our state’s parks, fisheries and wildlife by fostering partnerships, cultivating stewardship and safely connecting people with the outdoors.
Take a scenic drive along the Laura Ingalls Wilder Historic Highway.